In just a few days, it will be May and almost the halfway point for the year 2023. Time really moves quickly, even though from day to day, it doesn’t seem like it. But wow. I feel like I haven’t gotten very much accomplished that I had planned on.
With Beltane coming up on the first of May, or April 30 for May’s Eve, I really haven’t given much thought into my monthly intentions. I had a few really productive days last week where I got lots done on my condo, but there is still so much I want to get done before the end of summer. Unfortunately, between the migraines, pain and my stomach – my energy levels often fall flat before I can accomplish what I want to do.
I’ve already shared a post on what Beltane is, but as a reminder – May 1st marks the halfway point between Spring Equinox and Summer Solstice. This means the days will be even longer and weather in most places in the Northern Hemisphere will get warmer.
For many people in my local area, this is the time where people start preparing their gardens for planting and many have already planted things like herbs, tomatoes and other lush green vegetables. This is also typically our rainy season and so we’ve had a few days of rain which has been really welcome and needed to get rid of the snow mold and dust.
Instead of giving a monthly recap, you can scroll down to the bottom of this list and see what I’ve done for this year so far. Hard to believe it’s been almost five months since I rebranded this blog and I’m loving the engagement here – even if it’s not as much as it used to be.
Spiritual Significance of May
May is a popular time for weddings and it is considered the month of mothers and brides. It is also a busy month as high school students prepare for graduation ceremonies and plans to enter “adulthood”. For other people, May is the time when people start thinking about summer vacations, or gardening, or home improvement projects with the warmer weather and longer days.
In a spiritual sense, May is the time to work on positive energy and prosperity. Bringing joy into your life and harmonizing relationships with those you are close to. You might notice that you have more energy this time of year, and want to get working on projects that have been building up over winter. Or you may experience “spring fever” and want to get out and reconnect with loved ones or your social groups.
It’s a time to get “Involved” in life instead of watching it from the sidelines. To get outdoors and really just enjoy what life and nature has to offer you.
With Beltane right around the corner, this is also the time to focus on family and fertility if you are trying to conceive. Or even if you are single and want to have fun – go play and be frisky. But please be careful 🙂
When it comes to color associations and the month of May, think of it like this. Red is for passion and the power of the sun. Green is for creativity, growth and fertility. Yellow is for wisdom and happiness. And pink represents divine feminine and love. These are all things you could focus on for the month even just starting the day off with some meditations or intention settings as you sip your coffee or tea.
Note: I am a solo practitioner that doesn’t worship deities, so this is just a guideline and things I do for myself.
My Monthly Intentions for May
Last week, I got started on my decluttering project and got most of the recycling picked up. I have a few more things I’d like to get done for this month, as time and energy allows for it. I’ve given up on exercise for the time being, but am focusing on getting outside 2 or 3 times per day and going for walks when I can.
- Cook at least 1x meal per week and use all food in the fridge
- Finish organizing the laundry room and office/music room
- Get back into daily intentions with my morning coffee & tarot cards, think of things I am grateful for and would like to improve on (for positivity)
- Go for walks at least 2 or 3x times per week
- Read for at least 1x hour daily
- Reach out to friends by text at least 1x each week
- Sit outside daily for 1 to 2 hours, or 3x times per day
- Work on arts and craft projects at least 1x a week
- Work on 1x song per month for Spotify
- Write daily even if just a journal entry and come up with new book ideas
This list is pretty hefty, so if I do at least 3 or 4 of these items, I’ll be happy with that. It’s something to keep me motivated and going from day to day.
Do you work with monthly intentions? If so, let me know what your plans are for the month of May in the comments. Try creating a visioning board to help keep you on track.
All artwork on this post was created using Canva premium licensing
Important Dates to Remember
- May 1st – Beltane, May Day, Fire Festivals (Pagan Sabbat)
- May 5th – Flower Moon or Hare Moon
- Astrological signs: Taurus and Gemini
- Animals: cats, lynx, leopard (felines), dove, swan, swallow
- Colors: red, pink, yellow and green
- Elements: earth and air, fire for Beltane
- Flowers: Lily of the Valey, Hawthorn
- Herbs: mint, rose, mugwort, thyme, yarrow, apple blossom
- Flower Moon: also known as Fairy moon, Hare or Milk Moon
- Incense or oils: rose, sandalwood
- Intentions: personal growth, fertility, adventure, prosperity
- Spirits: fairies and elves
- January 2023: Working with intentions instead of resolutions
- February 2023: intention setting & scrapbooking
- March 2023: Mindful March & Ostara blessings
- April 2023: Creating Space
- Imbolc (Candlemas) – Feb 1-2
- Spring Equinox (Ostara) – March 19-23
- Beltane (May Eve) – April 30-May 01
- A glimpse into my spiritual practices pt 1
- Spring decor for welcoming positive energy
- How to incorporate mindfulness into your daily routine
- Working with intentions instead of resolutions
You must be logged in to post a comment.