This coming Saturday, marks the first new moon of 2023 and for some spiritual folk, it’s a significant one. I’m newer to the study of Moonology but sky-watching has always been something I love and done since I was a kid. It’s also one of the reasons I love my balcony in summer months.
New Moon: New Beginnings
Because it’s early in the year, now is a great time to work on self-reflection and introspect. Shadow Work is something I’ve done a lot of this past month, and it’s really been an eye-opening experience. It made me re-evaluate what’s important to me at this time, and the things I need to focus on for healing and letting go of trauma. I also realized that some things in life weren’t worth the struggle, while other relationships and things are.
The new moon represents the start of a new month. A new cycle. New beginnings. It’s a time where you can work on letting go of the past, things that no longer serve you well – and remind yourself of what it is, that brings you most joy.
During the new moon phase, you could make a list of things you want to focus on to help improve the quality of your life or relationships. You can start new projects and make a timeline so that you can see them to completion. Or perhaps this moon will help you pause and reflect on what you’ve learned over the last few years and what you can improve on for future events in your life.
Focus on positive things that bring you joy and gratitude
In an attempt to focus on positive changes, and practicing spirituality and gratitude in my daily life, I’ve noticed some really interesting changes. My main focuses are: health, sleep, reducing anxiety and writing as much as I can.
I’m also letting go of hurts and relationships that no longer serve me well. And learning to work with those who I can learn from, and hopefully help them on their journeys too. I’m trying to be a better friend. Depression has made this tough – but things are getting better.
For this new moon, I’m going to focus on journaling my intent for February. I might also include a ritual bath like the Anxiety Healing bath.
IDEAS FOR NEW MOON ENERGY
- Bullet journaling: make a list of intentions for the month ahead
- Crystal work: place your crystals in the window at night to charge under the light of the new moon, or outside if you have a safe space to do so. I love crystals – because they’re nice to touch and pretty to look at.
- Divination: If you’re into Tarot, do a general reading to help you choose what your next course of action might be.
- De-cluttering – maybe a goal could be decluttering your home or office or ritual space – I know I need to do this soon.
- Manifestations: make a list of things you want to attract in your life – new love? new friends? new job?
NEW MOON RITUAL BATH
New Moon Intentions (for me)
The following is a list of things I want to achieve this month. These goals are for me and me only. You’re welcome to use them as inspiration for your own goal setting. My main concern – is the lack of ability to stick to something and see it through. I really want to be able to focus on one thing and actually get it done. That’s more of a feeling of accomplishment.
That meant, giving up some other things that I came to really love. Like my involvement in the kink scene. But it turns out, the involvement there is really bad for my anxiety. The relationships are hard. And I’m better off doing my own thing, and making my own rules as I go.
- Finish the first draft of my book – I’m already 89 pages in and it feels good. I’m rewriting the entire series. This is just a hobby, and makes it feel like I’m accomplishing something.
- Work on story ideas for other books and work on this blog daily, posting relevant articles that not only helps others but also brings me joy. Books will be free for now.
- Create art or images for this blog and to share with friends. It’s therapeutic.
- Focusing on the positive – keeping in mind I don’t always have to be positive or put on a mask.
- Focus on sleep, exercise daily and get outside. It’s almost time for my daily break for stretches and vitamin D.
- Keep in touch with new friends and be a good friend to them. I’m a good listener when given the chance to go do so.
- See my dad weekly. I’ve been slipping and need to do better. See friends monthly. That’s all I can offer now.
- Meditate more and continue to manage anxiety.
Are you a fan of Moonology? If so, what is your favorite moon to work with? Stay tuned for monthly tips on Full Moon meditations & monthly rituals.
Love this blog? Please consider subscribing!
Related Posts (coming soon)
- January – Wolf Moon
- February 05 – Snow Moon
- March 07 – Storm Moon