Excitement is in the air, as one of my favorite of the eight Pagan Sabbats to celebrate is coming up fast. March 20-21 marks the beginning of Spring Equinox which means winter will soon be over! The days are already longer here thanks to Daylights Savings Time and the sun doesn’t set until after 7 pm now. I can’t tell you what a different this makes for where I live.
What is Spring Equinox?
For those that live in the Northern Hemisphere, Spring Equinox (or vernal equinox) occurs when the sun crosses the celestial equator going from south to north. The world celestial is used because the equator, is basically an imaginary line above the Earth’s equator. The word Equinox, simply means “equal night”.
What makes this day special, is that both hemispheres will receive approximately the same amounts of sunlight. Summer solstice in June marks the longest day of sunlight in the year. Spring Equinox tells us that the days will continue to get longer from here on out.
With the longer days and eventually, warmer weather, I find this time of year my energy levels are a lot better than during winter months. What this means for me -is that March and April is the perfect time to “spring clean” and declutter my home.
With the warmer days, make sure to go outside for a walk. Explore the nature trails. Spend some time in your gardens. Connect with animals. Leave an offering for your ancestors or guides somewhere outside your home (that is safe to do so).
Worm Moon has already passed, and I gave a lot of ideas in my Mindful March post as well – I will link both below for you. So, what else can you do for Ostara?
Ways to Celebrate Ostara
Ostara officially begins on March 19th and many Pagans or fellow Witches start their preparations on the 19th or even find ways to honor Ostara all week long.
For Ostara, we honor the German goddess Eostre and the origins of the Christian celebration that we know as Easter.
If you’re a gardener and the climate is appropriate, now is the time to start planning your gardens or planting seeds.
It is also a good time to declutter your home and give it a good sweep – clean out the old, and welcome the new. Open your balcony doors, windows and curtains and let in the fresh spring air, to rid your home of the musty smells of winter.
Does your life need some refreshing? Think about your current relationships, what might need improvement, or maybe you need to work on upping your communication skills. Now is the time to let go of emotional baggage that clutters your mind as well.
- Eggs – quiches, omelettes, or other egg dishes
- Cheese – goat cheese, or really any kind of cheese!
- Bread – Freshly baked sourdough bread
- Ham -casseroles, honey glazed ham, or soup or white chicken
- Fruits – lemon, banana, lime, berries
- Vegetables – potatoes, spinach, green onions, spaghetti squash, leek, kale, any leafy greens
Example meal for March 21:
- Honey glazed ham
- Mashed potatoes
- Baked asparagus
- Maybe a nice side salad
- A glass or two of white wine
- Colors: pastels (blues, pinks, yellows, green)
- Gems: aquamarine, amethyst or rose quartz
- Flowers: clover, tulips, daffodils
- Herbs: lemon, rose, clove, sandalwood, rosemary
- Oils: lavender, rosemary, lemon, clove, rose
- January 2023: Working with intentions instead of resolutions
- February 2023: intention setting & scrapbooking
- March 2023: Mindful March & Ostara blessings
You must be logged in to post a comment.